YARROW REVISITED, AND OTHER POEMS
Suggested by the recollection of Julian's Bower and other
traditions connected with this ancient forest.
On the roadside between Penrith and Appleby, there stands a
pillar with the following inscription:--
"This Pillar was erected, in the year 1656, by Anne Countess
Dowager of Pembroke, &c., for a memorial of her last parting with
her pious mother, Margaret Countess Dowager of Cumberland, on the
2d of April, 1616; in memory whereof she hath left an annuity of
4l. to be distributed to the poor of the parish of Brougham, every
2d day of April for ever, upon the stone table placed hard by.
WHILE the Poor gather round, till the end of time
May this bright flower of Charity display
Its bloom, unfolding at the appointed day;
Flower than the loveliest of the vernal prime
Lovelier--transplanted from heaven's purest clime!
"Charity never faileth:" on that creed,
More than on written testament or deed,
The pious Lady built with hope sublime.
Alms on this stone to be dealt out, 'for ever!'
"LAUS DEO." Many a Stranger passing by
Has with that Parting mixed a filial sigh,
Blest its humane Memorial's fond endeavour;
And, fastening on those lines an eye tear-glazed,
Has ended, though no Clerk, with "God be praised!"